Monday, November 23, 2015

Combating Holiday Burnout

   It's that time of year, the holidays are here! Time to get together with friends and family, for holiday celebrations and parties in general. It's time for food, baking, traveling and vacations. It's a joyous and BUSY time. So how do you prepare for the eventual holiday burnout? Do you prepare for it?
 
   This is by far my FAVORITE time of year. I love the fall, my birthday is November, my favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, followed up closely by Christmas. My memories from my childhood consist of spending time as a family together, enjoy good food and company. We never went on big vacations or traveled very far, but we had each other and that's all that mattered. However, as an adult/parent things are more challenging. Don't get me wrong, I do still enjoy those moments of family togetherness, but now I'm the one that's responsible for creating memories! That's a challenge.

   Among the memory creation, there are also work party obligations, family obligations (both sides of our family live in the same area we do!) and preparation for the holidays. At some point during or after these celebrations I am completely spent, so what is one to do when this happens? Throw in the towel? I don't think so! It's time to get my holiday refresh on!!

   So the first thing I do, is I make sure I carve out a little "me" time. Let's be honest, that time is sacred and hard to find, so this is what I do. One night I put the boys to bed a little bit early and I do what I call a "Hollywood" shower. I get out my "fancy" body scrubs, facial products, shampoos/conditioners and I get in the shower and take my time. I even shave my legs!! Lol!! This shower usually lasts about an hour, not because it takes me that long to take a shower, but because I take the time to breathe, enjoy the hot water and relax. I take my time! Sometimes that's all you need to reset.

    Another way to reset? Sometimes my mind is just so bogged down with dates, times, events, menu planning and activities that it needs a break. One way I learned to cope, I found in college and has since become a popular adult trend... any guesses? Adult coloring books!! The hardest decision you have to make is what color to use on sometime. That's easy, count me in! Plus it is so relaxing for me, more so than doing breathing exercises or yoga!

   Finally, my last way to reset, which I find also to be the most difficult, is to get your workout on! It doesn't have to be anything complicated, but it will make you feel so much better when you are done! Especially with all the food that is consumed this time of year, getting in your exercise should be a priority. :) I'll leave my product list in the comments below. With that being said, what are ways you reset and refresh?

No comments:

Post a Comment