Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Growing Up… Why Haven’t I Figured this out Yet?!


Recently, my husband has started the adventure of venturing out into a new career, in which he must endure numerous hours of training. I must admit I’m pretty excited for him, after all this is his dream job; it is also pretty interesting material. It’s made me really consider my career path and education, along with my goals for the future.

Now don’t get me wrong, I loved my college experience. I was super involved: sorority, student government, 3 part time jobs, a few student clubs and even a semester abroad! I loved my major and all the wonderful and interesting people I got to meet. I loved my college, small, private and intimate. I wouldn’t have changed anything about my college experience or my major.

Amsterdam, 2007
See end of Blog for more College Adventure Pictures!

 
However, I almost wish I would have continued. With all that I was involved with by the end of my undergraduate degree, I was burnt out. I was ready for a change and to make my mark in the “real” world. I really was one of the lucky ones, I graduated before the student loan markets really started to tank and I was able to get a great job within 4 months of graduation with an organization that I had moderate interest in. I’m currently with my second job since I graduated and I love the people that I work with and enjoy my job. However, both of these positions are not in a career field that I imagined I would be in. Is that a bad thing? No. Am I grateful? Yes. However, I often go back to thinking this one question I was asked as a child, “What do I want to be when I grow up?”

This really is a scary thought, especially as a get closer to the big 3-0. I feel that by the age of 30, I should have an established career, a house and know what I want to do with my life. Where I stand now (a few years shy of 30), I feel nowhere close to knowing what I want to do with my life. I have numerous interests and have even contemplated going back to school for a graduate degree. The problem is I can’t seem to make up my mind. I’ve considered teaching, social work, law (lawyer & peace officer) and nursing. I think I could do any of those things and be excellent at them, but just as I get really excited about prospects and am about to engage reality hits.

Where will I get the money to go to school? How will we get out of debt if I go to school? How will we care for the love bug if I’m going to school full time? Can I work and go to school full time? What about my dream of eventually being able to be a stay at home mom (SAHM)? Wouldn’t that be a waste of resources to go to school/training for a career and then after a few years decide to be a SAHM? And the ultimate question, “What do I want to do with my life?”

So that’s where I am, clueless. I want to find something I’m passionate about and get involved. I don’t want to be one of those people that just goes to work because they have to. I want to go to work and love what I do. Anyone else out there feeling the same? I’d love to hear your thoughts or resolutions if you have them!
 


Vienna, Austria. 2007

 
 
 

Budapest, Hungary. 2007
 

Budapest, Hungary. 2007
 

Budapest, Hungary. 2007
 

Central Park, New York, USA. 2006
 

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic. 2007


Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic. 2007
Iwakuni, Japan. 2007

Iwakuni, Japan. 2007
 
Vysehrad, Prague, Czech Republic. 2007

Vysehrad, Prague, Czech Republic. 2007


Vysehrad, Prague, Czech Republic. 2007

Prague Castle, Prague, Czech Republic. 2007

United Nations General Assembly, New York. 2006

United Nations, New York. 2006

Vienna, Austria. 2007
 

No comments:

Post a Comment