Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Exercise!

For those of you who have been following me for a while, you know that I've been on a weight loss journey (New Readers, please refer to these posts: The Journey and Results). Well, I'd like to revise that statement and call it a Healthy Lifestyle Revolution! I do not only want to incorporate these changes in my life, but my family's as well. Prior to the move, I discussed these changes with my husband, he wasn't too thrilled but he understood why. Unhealthy habits tend to run in families and are passed through the generations and that needs to stop with me. I want to make sure the Love Bug has every opportunity to live healthy and understand what a healthy lifestyle looks like.

 
The following individual does not necessarily endorse my blog or the way this image is used on my blog.
Attribution: By SusanLesch (see below) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
 
As I have made that decision, I wanted to incorporate the Love Bug. Not only so he could see the changes within me, but so that when he has the opportunity to make a choice he makes the best choice possible.
 
That being said, I try to incorporate the Love Bug into my exercise routine and show excitement when preparing to head to the gym. That’s right, I take the Love Bug to the gym with me! You know what the best part of this is? The child area at my gym is all glass walls, so he can see me work out and I can see him play! So when I’m in my cardio zone and have hit a wall, I just have to look over and see what I’m working for, that smiling loving boy looking back at me with awe and pride in his eyes. So worth it!
 
I’ve noticed this has started to spill over into how he is communicating and learning. When I do routines at home, he joins in and often mimics the movement I’m doing. He’s so proud that he’s able to “exercise” with Mommy! While it often makes it more difficult for me, I know that the impact it will have on him is worth it.
 
The following individual does not necessarily endorse my blog or the way this image is used on my blog.
Attribution: By Everkinetic (http://everkinetic.com/)
[CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
 
Here’s a classic example, I went to pick the Love Bug up at my mom’s after work one day when she told him earlier in the day that he was going to the gym with me later in the afternoon. He then proceeded to do a few unusual movements, my mom asked him what he was doing. “Exercise!” with proud enthusiaum was his response. That holds so much promise for me, I hope he is always eager when pursuing fitness and can appreciate the physical benefits it brings him.
 
What physical activities do you share with your kids? How do you get them involved with an active lifestyle? Would love to hear your inputs! Stay posted for the next edition from Insights of a Modern Mom where we will discuss Healthy Eating Habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment